Mastering varying shredder residues
Improved energy and material recovery by gasification
Key words: Gasification, Fluidised bed, Shredder residue, End of Life Vehicle, Waste electrical and electronic equipment, Waste-to-energy
DURATION: 45 min + 15 min Q&A
By registering, I accept that I will receive VTT’s newsletters and/or news about VTT’s upcoming events and webinars, and that my personal data is processed in accordance with VTT Marketing Data Protection Policy.
The European legislation requires today 85 % degree of reuse and recycling of End of Life Vehicles (ELV) and the overall reuse and recovery rate has to be at least 95 %. These requirements are difficult to fulfill without energy recovery from Auto Shredder Residue ASR (light fraction, auto fluff). How do you aim to achieve this 95 % reuse and recovery target?
Recycling of Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE) also produces organic matter containing waste fraction, not forgetting all the valuable metals. Organic matter containing waste is not allowed to be landfilled and thus new solutions have to be found. Are you familiar with alternative solutions?
VTT has developed advanced fluidised bed gasification of shredder residue not only to respond to the requirements of the ELV directive but also to improve the overall material recovery. Conventional incineration can assist to recover energy from shredder residue but gasification enables also easy and efficient metal recovery from final inorganic residue.
Gasification has several benefits compared to incineration:
- lower and better controlled process temperature than in incineration
- reducing process atmosphere mitigates significantly oxidation of metals
- chlorine and other harmful contaminants can be removed from produced gas prior gas utilisation
- in clean gas combustion risks related to corrosion or harmful emissions are significantly lower than in incineration
- gas cleaning prior gas utilisation enables higher electrical efficiency
If you want to improve your business by applying the most advanced technology to recover energy and materials from shredder residue by gasification based solution, register to the webinar in order to learn how to do it!
Key learning objectives:
- What are the alternative treatment methods for shredder residues?
- Learn the advantages of gasification of SR
- Case Corenso: How to turn SR into business
- What are the preconditions of the demanding future operational environment
Contact us for further info about the webinar:
Matti Nieminen, Principal Scientist
Tommi Kaartinen, Senior Scientist