Cellulose nanofibrils (CNF) – a big hype or on the edge of a breakthrough?
Profound competence boosting the way from manufacturing to profitable business
By registering, I accept that I will receive VTT’s newsletters and/or news about VTT’s upcoming events and webinars, and that my personal data is processed in accordance with
VTT Marketing Data Protection Policy.
Key words: Biopolymer, nanotechnology, Cellulose, nanofibril, CNF, Food, Pharma, Cosmetics, Paper, Board, R&D, Science
How to utilize the full potential of the most abundant biopolymer that mother nature has to offer? How to combine the unique properties of cellulose with one of the “hottest” key enabling technologies, nanotechnology? How can science help to overcome the hurdles?
Cellulose fibrils are already used in commercial products, such as in food, pharma and cosmetics and self-evidently in paper and board. How can cellulose nanofibrils be used to multiply the potential of cellulose in these applications and beyond?
This webinar reviews the status of cellulose nanofibril (CNF) research from industrial perspective and shows through a couple of examples how scientific understanding can lead to breakthroughs when tackling the challenges on the way from ideas to applications. The examples include how to:
- Make and modify the cellulose-based fibres for selected applications
- Manufacture films from cellulose nanofibrils
- Optimize retention and dewatering in paper and board making through piloting
- Utilise nanocelluloses as rheology modifiers
Join this webinar to learn how you could speed up your development activities through a profound understanding of underlying mechanisms.
Key learning objectives:
- Hear where we stand on the way to commercialize cellulose nanofibrils
- Learn how to manufacture and functionalize cellulose fibrils cost-effectively from different raw materials
- Discover the potential of cellulose nanofibril films as barriers and membranes
- Find out the importance of selecting the right kind of cellulose fibrils for your applications
Dr. Heli Kangas, Senior Scientist
Heli Kangas currently works as a Senior Scientist at VTT Ltd. Her background is in Chemistry of Wood Processing with 15 years of experience in the field. She has worked with cellulose nanomaterials since 2010, with focus on their characteristics and potential applications as well as their safety assessment. She has ~15 scientific publications and has published over 20 conference papers.